Who should call me today while I watched my beloved Titans lose their third dysfunctional game in a row but DENNIS HEBERT, current President and founding member of Save Civic Stadium (SCS)!
I know, I was excited too.
He was kind enough to discuss the SCS’s wishes and recount:
- The SCS’s history
- The reasons for saving it
- Dozens of anecdotes from community neighbors who love the stadium
- Eugene School District’s motives for selling it
- What should be done with the stadium
- Legislation for and against the stadium’s preservation
- How the issue stands at the moment
He also advised (as had Bernie Corrigan) that I should talk to Greg Giesy, a native and expert on the subject of Eugene.
- Call Greg Giesy
- Visit Civic Stadium
- Interview Eugene Mayor Kitty Piercy, who responded to my interview request e-mail [woo-hoo!]
- Read / take notes on 4-J (Eugene School District)’s entire manifesto about their stance that Civic Stadium isn’t worth holding onto (and should therefore be sold because the District could use the cash]