Hello, #J361! What do you need to do for this class this weekend? Well! First of all, you need to read the international news. Second, you could come to the Building a Better Journalist conference of the Society of Professional Journalists in our very own building.
But you want to know about your homework. OK. Good luck! Direct message me on Twitter or text me at the number on your syllabus if you have questions.
- First Beat Blog is due by 11:59 p.m. Sunday. Remember: Your job in this beat blog is to survey what the various media are writing/broadcasting about your topic. If you want to comment on an article or video you think is good, you should feel free to do that. At this point, your job is to survey the terrain, not to offer your own story. What are the best blogs for your beat? Who at the major papers or magazines covers your beat? Like your survey of the neighborhood and its resources, this will be list-like.
- Current Events Quiz #3 will be delivered to you at 2 p.m. Monday, Oct. 11, so as I said, please read the international news.
- Journals are due on Wednesday, Oct. 13, which means you should probably work on them.
- AP Quiz D-O happens on Wednesday as well.
- Read Chapters 3 & 4 in the Harrower book. A quiz on one of those two chapter may occur on one of the days we have class this week.
- It wouldn’t hurt your future if you had time to go look at your neighborhood more closely. What businesses, services, public spaces and people do you encounter? Take notes for the future. (Only a suggestion; not a requirement.)