Suzi’s J361/Reporting 1
June 21, 2010
Current Events Quiz #1
1. What scientific event marks today’s date for the Northern Hemisphere? Bonus: What scientific event marks today’s date for the Southern Hemisphere?
2. What’s a vuvuzela? Why is it in the news?Bonus: What was the score of any of this morning’s games (you must identify the teams as well as the score).
3. Why did President Obama give a speech from the Oval Office last week, and what happened the next day related to that speech? (I don’t mean Republican reaction, though you could earn part of a point for explaining Joe Barton as well.)
4. To what country has Russia cut gas deliveries? Why? What’s the capital of Russia OR that country?
5. What part of China is seeing massive flooding and at least 130 deaths? Bonus: What’s the capital of China? Name two of China’s neighbors.
6. What country eased a blockade that was preventing all kinds of items from getting to people who live in a (disputed) portion of the country? Bonus: What’s the capital of that country?
7. In what South American country did a former defense minister win the presidential election in a landslide? Bonuses: Name the country’s capital. Name two of the country’s neighbors.
8. In what West African country are oil spills and oil-related disasters ruining a delta region? Bonus: Name the country’s capital.
9. Name the boy who went missing after a school science fair in Portland.
10. What local college is looking at building housing in downtown Eugene?
Explain “Bloody Sunday” and the recent news about it (not the U2 song, though it is about the incident).
What kind of update might you see on the Twitter feed BPGlobalPR?
What great tennis player barely escaped the first round at Wimbledon this morning?
What two schools recently joined the Pac-10? Should the conference be renamed, in your opinion? To what?